Monday, July 10, 2017

Food Interlude!

Just gotta step away from the day-based logging of my comings and goings to celebrate the food that has nourished my vacation.  Below are pics and reflections on just some of the wonnderful meals or meal courses I have had.  

But first, in honor of  one of the meals I didn't take a picture of but really, really enjoyed, courtesy of Family'z, a quick food joint across from the music spot, Onze Bar:


Ode to Mediterranean Wraps
Oh Mediterranean Wrap, how you are made to order.
Your almost too-hotness is the flip side of
Your grilled ill-ité
Your char sets my heart ajar.

Oh wrap, how are you marry tasty bite-size meat,
grilled onions, lettuce and diced tomatoes to a
perfectly
balanced
sauce.
A most perfect union.
“With this pita bread thou art wed.”

Oh wrap, you contain multitudes
and so you may very well contradict yourself.
Oh well:
One, you are fast yet still food.
Two, you are seasoned sublimely and
could quote E-40 “Sprinkle Me” without
being salty.
(Mom would say, you're a little Pepper!)
Three, except for that small Seine of juice staining this notebook page,
you are juicy without being messy.
Have a word with Carl’s Jr., won’t you?

But I am not mad atcha –
the healthy, unempty calories you fill me with
also soak into these pages. 

So, Mediterranean wrap, you are the best-est!
Others can see you any way they want,
(except naked, of course, for you are ever swaddled in pita, haha)
but for me, your stain blob
on my notepad
is a Rorshach
of health and happiness.


                                                                *******



Bavette (Flank Steak)  
Two things: One, half the time I see bavette on the all French menu I'm like, I'll have that!  This happened to be my first meal.    Two, "Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick."  That doubly true for my thinking as I progress in age, it seems.   So,I was seriously like, unironically, "Haha, I'm having french fries with like one of the tastiest steaks I've ever had."  Then I was like -- and sadly, this wasn't right away, like when you are about to step in crap but nimbly double-step with the off foot, averting shame -- "Ok, ok, the French just call them fries (frites)."
   
 Hamburger (Trust me)
Man, this bistro did so many things wrong and still, at the end of the meal I was like, W-T-F just happened?

First, I ordered a Jack and Coke, and this guy brings me a bottle of Coke, a small glass of 4 ice cubes, a stirring spoon, and maybe 2 - 2.5 ounces of bourbon. I'm supposed to mix my drink? Second, they say they have no frites (in France of all places!) so I choose a substitue spelled like maybe mashed is not the translation.  Third, as you can see, yeah, they were out of bun (probably brioche) so would the bread they use for croque monsieur be ok?  Sure.
Listen that's way too many mishaps for one meal, and yet, by the end, you could all it bliss..

Choix du fromage (Chevre)
I was completely like, "Huh?" when the lettuce and tomato wedge came with the chevre.  I'm not saying it was better than that tube I get at Trader Joe's to pair with roasted beets, but like the Rolling Stones said, "You can't always get..."


Decisions Were Made

Listen, I do not consider myself to be a vain person.  I don't like spending all that much time in the mirror.  I don't mind being well-nigh bald (denial!), but yeah, I'd prefer a say in the matter.  And if you know me, you can imagine I wouldn't mind being a little taller.*  

But what these croissants and baguettes have done to my belly? Ridiculous! Sacrableu!  Talk about inflation!  They're destroying in maybe 4 days what it took 4 months of Crossfit to build up.   I honestly only started doing Crossfit to improve my run time, but all the residual benefits does have me sometimes nodding at my reflection with approval.  

You got to understand something though, these croissants are great!  So basically, I've got to decide between the croissants and my ab game.   Like the Warriors singing on the team bus/plane two playoffs ago, "I'm in love with the croissant!"   Sacrableu! Ok, I guess I'll be doing another run through Luxembourg Gardens.

Ok, I haven't had this one yet.  It suggests a macaroon which, now that I've had a couple, yo lo compremendo totalmente. 

_____________
*Side note, once in our teens, 15 and 16 respectively) my cousin Derrick and I
were walking at the Woodbridge Mall when we passed two dudes who seemed related too, but much taller.  No words, we just looked at each other and laughed.  D managed to make it much closer to 6' than to 5'.  And I, well, am always tempted to be figurative (or lie) when asked specifically about my height:  I stand tall, lol.)

No comments:

Post a Comment