Monday, July 4, 2011

The eye of the beholder



While enjoying my weekly Carne Asada plate at Gordo Taqueria on College Avenue I saw this dog. We've all seen our share of dogs who are so stunning - deep eyes, glistening coat, regal manner - they make us stop and say, "Wow, that's quite a dog." We'll stop for a moment, pet it, maybe make small talk with the owner. It's rare, however, that one dog commands universal admiration.

I'd say this dog was different. Every man, woman and child who walked by paid the standard acknowledgement, but too many to count, including me (obviously), had to take its photo as well. The dog's construction worker owner, who had chained it next to his pickup, interrupted his meal more than a couple times to assist with a photo.

I think it's safe to say that physical appearance is the number one feature that attracts human beings. I wonder if it is the same for dogs. Before seeing this dog, I could play the relativist card, and say, "Who knows?" But after seeing it, well, species relativism be damned: I've found my answer. My take: if I were a dog lucky enough to have crossed paths with this dog, I would know, right then and there, I had found The One. But I'm not a dog, so I broke the first rule when one encounters a singular phenomenon: name it, or in this case, ask for the dog's name. Anyhow, given that this is the Adonis/Helen of Troy of Dogs, can you come up with a fitting name?

No comments:

Post a Comment