Tuesday, July 12, 2011

"When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself." - Jacques Cousteau



I first heard this quote about fifteen years while watching Rushmore, one of my all-time favorite movies.  I’ve always taken it to mean: you gotsta shine yo' light.  It has resonated so strongly over the years that it often comes to mind when I find that I have an important decision to make.  This primarily meant: do I do my best, in response to the dictates of the moment, to be me, or do I conform because that is the easy way?  But it has also related to opportunity:  do I shirk it (because the opportunity  would require uncapped amounts of blood, sweat, and tears), or do I, with such knowledge, nevertheless take it head on?  I have answered in the honorable way often, but, alas, not always.  Tragic, in a way.

Last night, this Jacques Cousteau quote came to mind when I heard the jazz piece above on KCSM*.  It had absolutely nothing to do with “being me” or seizing opportunity. The only thing it related to, as I drove down Grand Avenue back home, was beauty.  Simply, plainly, absolutely: beautiful.   In wonder I remarked, “What song is this?”  (Didn’t the wise men sing, “What Child is This?”)   

Now my favorite quote has taken on an added resonance.  I don’t know so much, anymore, about the standard for living extraordinarily** but I do know that beauty abounds in the world, and because of it, there are also many opportunities to experience the extraordinary.  I think Cousteau might agree with Khadize’s Corollaries: there are many beautiful things in the world, and when you create one of these things, you must share it.  And when you find of one these things, you must share it.  And when you are touched by one of these things, you must pass along that touch.

I am glad I found Monty Alexander’s Harlem-Kingston Express last night. It was beautiful.  And I’m glad I am able to share it with you.


*The best jazz station in da wurrld! at FM 91.1 in the Bay.
** Ok, so you might think Mr. Yes We Can, though currently bedeviled by the Hell No We Won’t GOP, is the exemplar of leading an extraordinary life.  After all, what's more extraordinary than being president. I'd like to up the ante -- or lower it, depending on your perspective: Barack’s life is extraordinarily extraordinary.  So the poor man's (or everyman's extraordinary) is that described above.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rushmore is also one of my all time favorite movies, along with this quote...! It's moved me for years.

    It has always reminded me of a quote that I heard once but could never remember the source. I thought it was a Nelson Mandela quote that I might've seen in one of Spike Lee's movies but was never able to track it down until today...which is how I stumbled across your blog.

    Turns out it was in the movie Akeelah and the bee. Interestingly the movie (falsley) attributes the quote to Nelson Mandela, which explains why I've had trouble over the years locating it. I'm sharing it with you because you used the word "shine" in summarizing​ the Jacques Cousteau quote. The quote:

    “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? Your playing small does not serve the world. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.”

    ReplyDelete